Thursday, August 02, 2018

Nothing

Nothing much to say tonight. I get to sleep in tomorrow for a bit. The stuff at work begins at 1:00 and may last a while, or just a few minutes. Afterwards I have some shopping to do and then need to run my mom out for an errand. I need to remember to grab our information about our vision care plan when I go in to work, since I have an eye appointment on Monday.

Lyin' Don was in Wilkes-Barre tonight. Of course he drew a big crowd. The candidate he was there to support, Lou Barletta, is very well-known in the region, and has made a name for himself for something on the order of 20 years or so. He was mayor of Hazleton and was a big anti-immigrant crusader back when Trump was still doing Pizza Hut commercials. He managed to get the city involved in a series of legal disputes that left it heavily in debt after he left office. His name was constantly in the paper and in the news. Tonight, Trump boasted that not many people in the area are familiar with Lou Barletta, but that he has known him very well for many years. That comment seemed to have left the crowd momentarily perplexed. But I'm sure they got over their cognitive dissonance quickly. Doublethink is the art of believing two mutually contradictory and incompatible things simultaneously, so I'm sure it wasn't long before they accepted that they had been previously unaware of a local politician they had supported for years, and were grateful to Donald Trump for introducing them tonight to a man who had been a household name for a very long time.

No comments: