Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We interrupt this cavalcade of politics for...cake

OK, I'm doing a lot of political blogging right now. But you know what? At this moment I think that who is going to be in the White House for the next four to eight years is pretty darned important. Really, my last post pretty much summed up where I'm coming from. And I'm going to keep at it until the last vote is cast.

Having said that, please know this: there's always time for cake.

Phil Plait of Bad Astronomy reminded me of this with this post. And that post reminded me of a blog I've been meaning to link for a while now, but keep forgetting.

Cake Wrecks isn't just a fantastically popular digest of professional and amateur cake design and decoration gone horribly, horribly wrong. It also showcases the occasional brilliant and beautiful (and, I trust, delicious) creations like this Wall-E cake, and this James Bond-inspired Wedding Cake.

(The closest I came to decorating a cake was my Y2Cake, of which I do not believe there are any pictures. It was made for a Y2K party that I was co-hosting at a friend's house. It was baked in a mold shaped like a computer monitor and keyboard, with the words "GAME OVER" in sugar letters on the screen. Decorations included a rubber critter from a dollar store called a "Y2K Bug", a toy passenger jet crashed nose-first into one side -which would turn out to be in very, very poor taste 21 months later, but having aircraft lose their guidance systems as the year rolled over from 99 to 00 was a concern for many on that ultimately uneventful date - , and a squad of army men erupting from the hole in the cake that my cousin's dog chewed while we were letting the cake cool. Don't worry, I trimmed around the parts she had eaten, and I ate the neighboring region myself.)

I'm not sure who first turned me on to this site many long weeks ago, but it was probably Michelle. Let's say it was her.

No discussion of cakes would be complete without noting the cake Deanna Hoak made for her son's birthday - scroll down into her comments for the recipe and modification.

And speaking of cakes, I'm due for a blood donation in ten days. About time I made some Shoo-Fly Cake. For the iron, you know.

5 comments:

Isis the Scientist said...

My favorite pie of all time is shoo fly. Imagine my dismay when I arrived at new MRU and found no Amish folks and no shoo fly pie.

Michelle HD said...

Not me. I sent you lovely listing (the real estate train wrecks) and then in response you sent me this cake site. Someone else must have showed it to you. It still is hilarious though, so yeah.

anne said...

cake?

CAKE???!!!

I'll vote for whoever you want - JUST GIVE ME THE CAKE!!!!!!!!

anne said...

Ok, I had to come back and post a THANK YOU for the link to that site.

I can't wait to show it to my coworkers.

...tom... said...

...
"And I'm going to keep at it until the last vote is cast."

I saw another blog that had _post-dated_ a post to make it ride on the top of the blog.

Perhaps something to consider for that post you want to keep up and visible..??

Just a thought.


...tom...
.