Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Michelle Malkin: Completely nuts

I try not to wander over to the paranoid, delusional, and hypocritical world of the hate-mongering loonies on the far right. Bad for my blood pressure, and the intellectual equivalent of walking into a bar.* Let them play in their little echo chamber, as long as they leave the rest of us alone.

That's a very bad attitude, of course, because leaving the rest of us alone is the last thing they intend to do. Still, I avoid them whenever possible.

Then I came across this article on MSNBC about Dunkin' Donuts pulling an ad with Rachel Ray - at Michelle Malkin's insistence - because she is wearing a scarf.

Ummm, WTF?

Now, I've dipped my toe into the open sewer that is Michelle Malkin's stream-of-consciousness a couple of times before, notably during the John Edwards bloggers incident (which was primarily about Bill Donohue and his phony "Catholic League", which does not represent and never has represented Catholics in any official capacity, but was driven in large part by Michelle Malkin), and, thanks to this post on Adam Felber's site, her quest to prove the non-existence of "Jamil Hussein." (I forget the details - I think he was an Iraqi critic of the U.S. occupation of Iraq who claimed first-hand knowledge of certain things which in other contexts might be considered "war crimes" - but it turns out that he did exist after all. If you're feeling brave, wade into her archives and see what you can find out.)

The scarf thing. It's allegedly a scarf in an Arabic style that is (or resembles) something called a keffiyeh. Similar to one worn by millions of people in the Middle East, an item currently popular among the dedicated followers of fashion (or so I hear), and clearly a sign of hatred and anti-Semitism.

Oh, wait. You missed that last part? Go here for a discussion that will clear matters up immensely. (Be sure to read the comments, too.)

So, obviously, the ad had to go. I mean, really, what was Dunkin' Donuts thinking?

Take this vow with me, please: I refuse to let insane people dictate my actions.

Too bad Dunkin' Donuts does. I guess Michelle Malkin has a lot of pull with the donut-eating demographic.


Phil Plait has an entry on this ridiculousness here: http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2008/05/28/dunkin-donutsoid/


UPDATE: For the record, I think it's pretty well established that Sharon Stone is also nuts. At least her apology for her "bad karma" comment about the earthquake in China was a bit more timely (and, seemingly, more sincere) than apologies from the nutcases on the far right who made similar comments about 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina . . . when those apologies have, in fact, been offered. Which isn't that often.


*As in, "Two guys walk into a bar. The third one ducks."

3 comments:

Michelle HD said...

Retchel Ray is still annoying no matter what what you cut it. Even though she probably had no input into what she wore for this particular photo, she still irritates the bejesus out of me: "DELISH", "EVOO", "SAMMYS"
I can't take another minute of her being force fed down my throat by Food Network.

Check out: http://www.rrsux.com/

PS- The food she makes on 30 minute meals SUCKS

whimsical brainpan said...

If I take the vow wouldn't I be letting you dictate my actions?

Nothing the far right does surprises me. I mean these are people who went after Sponge Bob foe being gay for heaven's sake. Like you I try to ignore them and hope they'll go away (which is difficult since most of my family is like that).

Super G said...

Brain,

Sheesh you're right.

Everyone knows it is Squidward that is gay.