Monday, May 12, 2008

(Insert string of expletives here)

If you were betting that I would actually post the blog entry I wrote about yesterday today, you would have lost.

Not my fault. Totally not my fault. Totally someone else's fault.

The meeting went well today, though there were fewer people there than we had hoped. I left the building shortly after 6:00 and missed the end-of-shift crush. I got in my car, switched on my phone, and saw that I had a message waiting.

I had to wade through about a dozen old messages before I was allowed to hear the new one. It was someone asking me to assist in...a bit of a retrieval.

And that's about all I'm gonna say about that. Though the person we were attempting to retrieve was other-than-cooperative with all of the official types who needed to give their blessings to his retrieval. In the end we were forced to leave this person, unretrieved, in the caring hands of some of these folks. I hope he manages to get through this without further incident. Though I doubt it.

So that threw my whole schedule off. And worse: it has helped prolong a bit of bad karma.

I took my mom out to dinner for Mother's Day yesterday. Indian food. She doesn't even like Indian food. But my friends had asked us to join them there, and I had convinced her to give it a shot. That was before we wound up with my two nephews in tow, though.

Afterwards we went to a high-end junk store called The Christmas Tree Shop. They sell lots of neat stuff cheap there, including a constantly-changing selection of solar lighting devices. We got some solar-powered rock spotlights to take the place of the LED Christmas lights that have taken the place of the fluorescent lights that have taken the place of our front porch lights. And some glow-in-the-dark glass mushrooms. Among other things.

When we got home and unpacked the bags, we discovered that one of those bags was full of stuff that we hadn't bought.

How we managed that, I don't know. Maybe a bag had been left on the counter by the previous customer and the woman at the checkout mixed the bags together. Maybe she had already begun scanning and bagging the next person's order while we were still filling our cart. I dunno.

In any event, this store is on my way home. I had planned to stop there after work and hand over the bag. Somebody got cheated out of some stuff they bought. Maybe they'll come back and discover that it wound up in someone else's cart, and they actually returned it.

But not yet. No, because of this distasteful little adventure, I wasn't able to right this cosmic wrong. And so the cosmos will spin slightly off its axis on my account for a little while longer.

Well, as I said before, not my fault. Totally not my fault.

2 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

Sounds like you are having a bad week. I hope it gets better.

D.B. Echo said...

That's the funny thing, Whim. This doesn't feel so horrible. Just annoying. It's like I've been watching this particular slow-motion train wreck for so long, I just can't feel for him anymore. He's used up all his fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh chances with his entire extended family, and that includes me.

I see no way that this will end well. I feel more compassion for near-total strangers than I do for this person. Maybe there's something wrong with me.