Monday, April 21, 2008

Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Day

Tomorrow is the day. Tomorrow is the first time Pennsylvania's votes have mattered at all in a Primary election since 1976.

Rather than a process by which the most qualified candidate is gradually revealed from a crowd of hopefuls, Nominating Primaries are part popularity contest, part beauty contest, and part horse race. Far too much weight is given to early contests, and highly qualified candidates who fail to win, place, or show tend to drop out before too long.

Whoever wins tomorrow's election - and "win" is a relative term, since the Democratic Party in Pennsylvania doles out electors proportionally, rather than on a winner-take-all basis - there is a very good chance that the other candidate will be the nominee. I am supporting Hillary Clinton in this race, because I feel she is the more experienced and better-qualified candidate. How much either of these factors count in determining who gets to sit behind the desk at the Oval Office can be judged by looking at the man who has occupied that role for more than seven years. But, should Barack Obama be chosen as the Democratic candidate, I intend to support him in the months leading up to November.

Sadly, many people do not share this viewpoint. Many people on both sides of the Democratic divide are suggesting that if the other candidate gets the nomination, then perhaps they will sit out Election Day in November - or will vote for a continuation of the failed policies of George W. Bush.

That's just stupid. Crazy, even.

Will the Democrats have a "Dream Team", a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket? I don't know if this is still possible. Too much blood has been spilled, too much Earth has been scorched. Maybe these two will patch things up at the convention. Maybe not.

But both have to realize: they cannot win in November without the support of the other's backers. Whoever does not get the nomination must do everything in his or her power to convince his or her supporters to vote for the nominee. And not just vote: root for them, cheer them on, swing other voters. Whoever doesn't get the nomination must become Cheerleader-in-Chief. Barack Obama must use his considerable charisma and rhetorical skills to convince his followers to vote for Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton must use her relentless campaign skills to convince her supporters to back Barack Obama.

It's the only way. Otherwise Rush Limbaugh has won, and Anne Coulter has won, and Michelle Malkin has won, and George W. Bush has won. And we have lost. Again.

Don't let that happen.

5 comments:

Super G said...

Great post.

I have at times said I couldn't vote for the GOP (post impeachment) and recently said I couldn't vote for Hillary because of the tenor of her campaign among other reasons. However, the Democrats only chance a winning will be for the losing half to swallow their pride and vote for whoever wins.

whimsical brainpan said...

Well said!

I am probably going to get some backlash for saying this but that has never stopped me before...

I almost hope that the Democrats don't win the election. Quite honestly I can't believe anyone is running to clean up the damn mess that Bush made. Whoever gets put in charge for the next four years is going to have a hard time. Things are going to get much, much worse before they get better. Most Americans will blame whoever is in office for the country's condition and not their predecessor. I don't want the first minority president to be remembered for the crap that they are going to have to deal with but didn't create.

Anonymous said...

I am on my way to vote, for Obama. If he wins the primary, I will vote for him in November. If he loses, I will vote for McCain. If he picks Hillary as his running mate, they both deserve to rot in hell.

D.B. Echo said...

See, Marc, that's just what I'm talking about. I'd love to understand why you think that way. I don't believe you're stupid, and I don't believe you're crazy. Granted, there are different kinds of stupid, and different kinds of crazy, and I exhibit several sorts of each at various times. So what's the thinking here?

Anonymous said...

My thinking is that I vote for the person I think is best, not for a particular party. I personally don't like Hillary. She lies too much, and takes too long to apologize. I just don't trust her. I'd rather have an unknown in Obama or McCain over her. I find both of them to be much better "people" than she is.