Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lawn Mowed

Note to self: Do not wait until April 24 to mow the lawn over at the house for the first time. The grass in the Southwest corner will be eight inches tall and almost impossible to mow. Again.

Seriously. Parts of this lawn would have choked a gas mower, burned out an electric. And a manual reel mower? Well, if I were any less magnificent a specimen of the human species, I might have looked upon it as a chore. Wait - I did. It was a total pain in the ass. Some parts I had to go over half a dozen times to get them to look halfway mowed. It took me at least 50% longer to do than it should have.

I think a lot of this growth was very recent. I just mowed the lawn at my mom's house this past Saturday, and it was only high in a few isolated spots. Most of the lawn was below the cutting height of the mower. I had toyed with the thought of profaning the Lord's day and mowing the lawn at my house last Sunday, but I never did. I also considered doing it yesterday, but it started to rain while I was out buying topsoil, potting soil, and seed starter mix on my way home from work, so that put the kibosh on that plan.

Yesterday I did, however, get some seeds started. Better late than never. Should have been doing this a month ago, but they'll catch up. I still have many seeds to start. If all goes well, I'll have some amazing pictures come August or so.

Need to transplant some strawberries soon, and put in a call to the nursery about the one cherry tree and two blueberries that never came out of dormancy last year and are pretty much dead this year. I wonder if I should plant the replacements in the same spots, or if the soil in those spots might be no good? The tree that died was near where the tenants had a swimming pool, so who knows what might have gone into the soil?

2 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

I am quite impressed that you hacked that down with a reel mower.

hedera said...

You COULD just buy a scythe, you know... I'm sure you could find one somewhere.