Friday, October 27, 2006

When it's time to change, you've got to rearrange

I woke up tired this morning, as I often do. I looked at one of the clocks that surround my head and saw that the hour was still 4:00. Still plenty of time to sleep, I thought. I rolled over and went back to sleep.

A brief infinity later one of my alarms was going off, a CD playing Coldplay's Clocks. That's odd, I thought. The clock radio says 4:43. Why is my other alarm going off?

The CD-playing alarm clock said 5:43. As did the little clock that gets the radio signal from the national atomic clock. As did the clock on my VCR, and the clock on the channel channel.

I seized my clock radio. Had I somehow pushed the time ahead by 11 hours? No, the clock was now showing that it was 4:45 AM. How could I have pushed it ahead 23 hours? (My clock doesn't change in reverse.)

Or had this dinky little drugstore clock radio somehow decided to "Fall Back" on its own?

This is the weekend for the change to Standard Time - or is this Daylight Saving Time now? I forget. I think the time change used to take place earlier in the month, and in the future it will take place in November. Maybe. We'll see.

So, the night of Saturday, October 28, don't forget to Fall Back. At least we get an extra hour of sleep out of the deal.

No comments: