Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Expect Delay

The past few weeks have been a season of construction delays along my commute on Interstate 81. We began with "emergency bridge repairs" several weeks ago and have now carried on to "sign inspection", which caused this morning's commute to be about 75 minutes long instead of the usual 40-45 minutes. (It took me 40 minutes to make my way through a traffic backup to the point where I could get off the highway to begin a secondary-road detour.)

Worse delays are probably coming on Thursday, when the hugely unpopular lame-duck occupant of the office of the President of the United States will be in the area to lend his support to the hugely unpopular incumbent Congressional Representive for the 10th Congressional district of Prennsylvania*, Don "The Strangler" Sherwood. I doubt this visit will do much good for either the Congressman or the President involved. But it will probably mean even more traffic aggravation for me, and tens of thousands of other commuters, come Thursday.

*For a good example of what a Gerrymander looks like, see this image of Pennsylvania's 10th Congressional district.

1 comment:

Bernie O'Hare said...

I'd love to be there, but as I told Gort, I'll be taking a dump.