Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I saw it! I saw it!

Woke up this morning and checked the weather radar which is conveniently provided on its own channel by my local cable television company. The sweep was clear, which seemed like a good sign for transit-viewing.

When I eventually made it to a window, I saw a terrifying sight: pea-soup fog. Uh-oh.

After about 45 minutes the sun broke through the fog to shine onto my kitchen wall, and I knew it was time to get out the $20 binoculars I bought this weekend just for the event. (I have better, more expensive binoculars, but I have temporarily misplaced them.) Using the binocular-projection method, I was able to cast a two-inch image of the sun onto the kitchen wall.

And, damned if I didn't see it! A HUGE spot near one edge of the sun!

It's almost time for third contact. I doubt I'll be able to see anything interesting - but I DID get to see the transit! I hope you did, too!

Oh, and the Brood X cicadas have finally decided to start their phaser-set-on-stun serenade by my house. I was starting to get worried that they wouldn't show up!

No comments: