Thursday, June 03, 2004

I am an idiot

I was disappointed as I scanned the channels this morning looking for some mention of the Transit of Venus. Nothing, even on the normally astronomy-friendly weather forecast on one of our local stations. The fools, I thought bitterly.

As I made my morning ablutions I pulled out my copy of the June issue of Sky & Telescope to double-check the timings of the transit...and got a smack in the face.

THE TRANSIT IS TUESDAY, JUNE 8, NOT THURSDAY, JUNE 3.

Now, I'd like to blame my latent dyslexia for this. After all, what is an 8 but a mirrored 3? Both symbols are encoded nearly identically in my brain. And Tuesday and Thursday are both "T" days, and at symmetrical positions in the week - one is the second day of the work week, the other is the second-from-last day of the work week. See? It all makes perfect sense, right?

I'd like to do this, but I'm not gonna. This was just a screw-up on my part.

I'm taking the extreme step of correcting the previous post. I won't try to cover-up my error, just make sure that the correct information is actually out there.

Sorry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Appology accepted.

This coming from someone that has no clue about much that is astrological besides some simple facts like different chemicals in space create different spectral patterns, or that I can locate the big dipper, and Orion's Belt, or that I have a star supposedly named after me - according to the Star Registery. But where that is, I forget completely, and I'm not about to yank it out of storage to find out where it is.

So yeah, you have my acceptance for the appology. It's a better mistake than I would have made. I would have likely said it was Saturn to eclipse Mars on July 33rd.

QoS

D.B. Echo said...

I should sternly reproach you for using the term "astrological" when you meant "astronomical"! Reproach! Reproach! (I think you meant "astrononical". I seem to recall you had some knowledge of things astrological once upon a time.)

As for the International Star Registry, grrrr...I think I'll do a whole post on them. But to give the gist of it...why not go over to their website, punch in your name, and look up the star that's registered exclusively to you? Huh? Why not try it? I did a few months ago, for the star that someone "bought" me, and was a little surprised at what I found...

D.B. Echo said...

I meant "astronomical", not "astrononical." Please see title of this post for more information.