Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Stress and blogger's block

I had a stressful day at work today. I have quite a few things I want to write posts on, but I find that I'm experiencing a sort of blogger's block, in which the events that I've just been through are pushing the things that I want to write about to the back of my head.

We've just entered our busy season at work. These seasons change every year, so there's no way to predict them, but generally the nicer the weather is, the more urgent the projects are. We've been through some long dry spells with work - months or, some might argue, years long - but with us it's drought or deluge. And right now, it's deluge.

I won't tell you what I do, not just yet. I'll save that for some other post. I enjoy what I do, but sometimes...Sometimes I wish they would fire me for my own good, so that I would be forced to actually use my talents and education or so that I could realize that my talents and education are a bit stale and I need to go back to school for some educatin'. But once I had a dream that they did just that, and it sucked. I realized I liked what I do, I'm good at what I do, and the pay is enough to keep myself and the people around me comfortable, with a significant savings for retirement and other future expenses.

So I work. I deal with people who are uncooperative or make unreasonable demands, inadequate resources and unrealistic expectations, and the Dilbert-level corporate stupidity - just like millions of other people around the world. So what am I whining about?

I'm not just whining for myself. Oppressed people of the business world, I whine for you. Your plight is my plight. Cast off your shackles and start your own blogs. Let the world know who you are, and where your blog is located. Encourage them to post comments. (By the way, I just discovered that my comments have been set to "members-only", and I think I was the only recognized member. Whoops. Sorry.)

I promise I'll write stuff soon that isn't just reflective moaning. Two-Fisted Gardening Tales. A discussion of an amazing book by two amazing authors and its long-term impact. A reminiscence about the Triple Conjunction of 1981 and what it meant to me. A few more acrylic paintings, and some digital paintings. And yes, eventually some political rantings.

But not right now. Now I'm tired and want to go to bed.

No comments: