Monday, May 17, 2004

I, (state your name), do solemnly swear...

...to always save my posts as I go along. Starting now.

I was working on a post that was as long and rambling as a label on a bottle of Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap. It was actually a combination of three ideas: a post about the influence that British TV and radio had on me as a pre-adolescent, a post about the cacophony of events in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s that helped to lay the groundwork for the person I have become, and a post about the sheer number of cranks and crackpots out there who have put a lot of effort into creating very elaborate websites, and have muddied the pool of knowledge and information on the Internet (and made researching the previous two proto-posts virtually impossible) by dumping in random data sewage by the tanker load.

I was working on this, when my Internet Explorer crapped out. Twice. After the first time, I started this post. It crapped out the second time just before I could hit the “Save Draft” button. So now I’m writing this in Word. I hope I can bring it over without too much fuss.

Maybe the universe is trying to tell me I shouldn’t be doing this right now, and instead I should be compiling songs from a stack of CDs into a mix disc to play between bands at a friend's wedding, which is coming up in three weeks. Yes, that seems reasonable. That, or maybe I should finally hunker down and install my new copy of Norton SystemWorks now. Eh, I’ll go for the CD. Less like work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. This has happened to me while trying to post in MSN community bulletin boards more times than I care to admit to. Though for them, it's not about the computer crapping out, it's because the system timed out because I was writing too damn much and I took too long to hit the post button. All that rambling, out the window. So now I've made it standard practice (even if I'm only writing two sentences) to use Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C before clicking that Post button. It's saved me much grief. I don't even realize I do it anymore.... until I lose it all because I accidentally closed a window instead of minimizing it, or something else incredibly stupid that makes me immensely relieved that I had copied it.

Blog On!
-Queen of Spades-

^
/ / Q (_/^\_)
/_
((Yes, I have too much time on my hands))