Saturday, September 13, 2008

It's the little things

I've made three small changes here at Another Monkey.

1. Google Ads have been tweaked. At the beginning of the month Google's AdSense program eliminated the AdSense for Referrals program, which eliminated the cool, hip ads for FireFox and AdSense that I used to have on the sidebar and at the bottom. That's too bad, because I actually liked the looks of those. I now have just three link ads: one above the top post, one near the top of the sidebar, and one at the bottom of the sidebar. I've enabled all of these ads to display images and text instead of just text. We'll see how they work out.

2. I've added a second Google search box at the bottom of the displayed posts. This is also an AdSense thing. The side search box is convenient but small; with the bottom one I was able to go wider. The bottom search box should open up searches in a fancy-schmancy custom search environment, with an Another Monkey logo and everything. Let me know if anything there can be improved. (Both searches have Safe Search "On" by default.)

3. I've switched to a wider version of the Minima template, like the one I've been using on A Blog of Nanticoke. (Geez, I need to update that again soon! ...ummm, what did I do with the SiteMeter code on that site?) This one displays YouTube video embeds without cutting off the screen, and it lets you see entries without having to scroll down, down, down. Switching templates rearranged a few page elements, but I think I've got them all back where they should be. Let me know what you think of the new look.

4. Not a change, really, but SiteMeter is going through some changes today (9/13/08) and I won't be able to get my stats for a while. That means I won't be able to see where everybody is coming from, or how they got here. So feel free (as always) to say "Hi" in the comments and tell me a little bit about yourself and what you think of the site!

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Heya... I'm buzzing in on my mobile device... So it's hard to judge any of the changes... I've never gone the Adsense route... Always figured that with my traffic, it wouldn't be worth my time to figure it out... Seems like evryone in computerland is making some change or other... Browsers, and Site Meters among them...

Anyway, just swung by to say HI...