Monday, October 04, 2004

On the Eve of the Vice-Presidential Debate

I do solemnly swear that I will make damned sure that I have not accidentally switched off the VCR mere seconds after starting to record the debate. Again.

Early thoughts were that Cheney's best strategy would be to have a heart attack during the debate and earn some sympathy points. An alternative scenario would be if he were to become, shall we say, kaput, and thereby enable his running mate to choose a slightly more charismatic partner late in the game.

Another alternative would be for Cheney to simply not show up, losing the debate by default but not allowing Edwards to score any face-to-face points. Maybe he could seek a deferment similar to the ones that kept him safe from the draft during the Vietnam War.

It is important not to underestimate Cheney, especially with the shadow cast by Bush's I'm-dumber-than-you-think performance in last week's debate. Cheney can be a formidable opponent. On the other hand, if he performs too well, it's going to look like he's showing up the boss. Which, let's face it, is difficult to avoid doing in the Bush administration.

I think I will try to take the same approach as last week: videotape the televised debate (for real this time) while listening to it on the radio as I surf the net. I'd rather not be subjected to Cheney's facial contortions. Let's hope that he remembers to take his medication beforehand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Harry,
Wrather than shoot myself in a fit of depression for having to choose between these guys I've decided to sell my vote on Ebay make a profit and not be responsible.