Monday, September 17, 2018

Last lunch


As of today I have eight days left at my current job - two full four-day/forty-hour weeks. My workplace is closing September 30. I am scheduled to be one of the last people to be on the phones in that place on its last day.

I have just two of my daily lunch servings of chicken left in the freezer, so today, while waiting for the dew to burn off the grass so I could mow the lawn*, I cooked up another batch of chicken. Ten chicken thighs, lightly dusted in a mix of flour and cracker crumbs and spices, baked at 450 degrees for twenty minutes, flipped over, and baked for another twenty minutes.

Ten pieces of chicken. Two more than I need - four more, counting the two in the freezer. I ate one, set three aside for my Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday lunches, and wrapped the rest for freezing.

And now I'm done. No more need to prepare lunches for this place. I wonder what I'll take as a lunch for my next job?


*As soon as I began to mow the lawn, it started to rain - lightly at first, and then more heavily and steadily. I only made a few passes with the mower before I had to stop, put the mower away, and pull my clothes off the line.

No comments: