Monday, April 16, 2018

Oven-fried chicken

About a year ago I had a craving for Shake 'n' Bake chicken. Not that I ever had this much when I was young, and those times that I did have it I didn't really enjoy it. I had a notion that there must be a way of making a version of the coating at home. I found a recipe online, and through trial and error I have come up with a good working recipe.

Oven-fried chicken

INGREDIENTS
Chicken thighs (8) or chicken drumsticks (10) or equivalent
Extra virgin olive oil
Butter (one thin slice per piece of chicken)

Coating:
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup seasoned cracker crumbs
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Other seasonings to taste

Parchment paper
------------------------------------

Thaw (if frozen) and soak chicken.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. (Or is it 450 degrees? That's the temperature I baked the chicken at yesterday. It came out darker, but all of the residual fat seems to have rendered out without drying the chicken.)

Add all ingredients for coating to one gallon plastic storage bag and mix thoroughly by shaking.

Coat bottom of large cast iron frying pan or non-stick roaster with a shallow layer of olive oil. (I use both, putting four pieces of chicken in each.) Add one thin pat of butter for each piece of chicken.

Remove skin and fat from soaked chicken. Add to bag with coating mix, up to half the pieces at once. Shake until thoroughly coated.

Put each piece of coated chicken on a pat of butter (for browning.)

Place uncovered in pre-heated oven for twenty minutes.

After twenty minutes, remove and turn over each piece of chicken. Return to oven for additional twenty minutes.

Allow to cool.

To freeze for later use, wrap each cooled piece of chicken in parchment paper and place in freezer bag. Remove air and freeze.

This allows me to make a week and a half of lunches at once. (One serving is one thigh or two drumsticks.)

No comments: