Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bill Clinton is coming to Nanticoke!

Bill Clinton will be coming to Nanticoke this coming Tuesday, October 26.  He's reportedly scheduled to speak at 4:00, and anyone who would like to see him (tickets are not required) is advised to start lining up by 1:00.  If I know Bill Clinton (and, hey, do I know him or what?), he won't show up much before 6:00, so pack your medication and avoid excessive fluid intake.

Clinton’s local visit to boost Kanjorski | The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA

You would think as a member of the Luzerne County Democratic Committee I would have some sort of inside track on this.  But it turns out that for the first time (as far as I know) since being elected to that position by a single vote (not cast by me), I missed a meeting - for the very good reason that I was at work that night.

Clinton to visit Nanticoke to stump for Kanjorski The Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA

On the one hand, it is a bit disconcerting that the Democratic Party has seen it necessary to send the Campaigner-In-Chief himself to Paul Kanjorski's hometown to stir up support for him.  On the other hand, it is impressive that Paul Kanjorski is seen as sufficiently important to warrant a special appearance by the Big Dog.  In any event, this is to my knowledge the first time any President, current or former, has passed through Nanticoke's city limits.*

Tragically, I suspect that Nanticoke's finest business, Sanitary Bakery, will be off-limits to President Clinton, if Chelsea has anything to say about it.


*It is possible that Richard Nixon threw up a bit while flying over Nanticoke after his 1972 post-Agnes visit to Wilkes-Barre.

No comments: