Sunday, June 29, 2008

Michael Turner is dead

Michael Turner, comic book artist, writer, and publisher, lost his long battle with cancer this past Friday.

The official release from Aspen Comics:

Hello all,

Unfortunately it's with great sadness that I must inform everyone that Michael Turner tragically passed away last night, June 27th at approximately 10:42 pm in Santa Monica, Ca. Turner had been dealing with recent health complications arisen in the past few weeks. More details concerning Turner's passing, and services, will be given shortly.

Anyone wishing to send their condolences to Michael Turner's family is encouraged to send to:

Aspen MLT, Inc.
C/O Michael Turner
5855 Green Valley Circle, Suite 111
Culver City, CA, 90230

Aspen also encourages anyone wishing to make a charitable donation to please send to Michael Turner's requested charities:

The American Cancer Society

Or

The Make-A-Wish Foundation

Official Contact: Vince Hernandez


I've only mentioned Michael Turner once on this blog, in this post, but it was enough to direct a Google search my way this morning, which is how I found out about this. I must confess that I've never read his work outside of occasional excerpts in Wizard. But I've always admired his drawing style, which celebrated female beauty without merely objectifying it or turning it into cheesecake.

Further reading:
Michael Turner's Wikipedia entry
Aspen Comics site
Seattle Post-Intelligencer Comic Books blog: R.I.P. Michael Turner
In Memoriam: Michael Turner from Wizarduniverse.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is "The American Caner Society" anything like The American Cancer Society?

D.B. Echo said...

Looks like that's been fixed on Aspen's site. I should have spell-checked the chunk of text I copied.

Of course, your question brings to mind a Saturday Night Live sketch from 1994 starring Kevin Nealon...

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93rfay.phtml

D.B. Echo said...

...nnnno, it looks like that was just me. I wonder how the heck I did that?