Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Meme in the making

The term "meme" has been hijacked and repurposed on the Internets to mean "something that is passed around on the internet, usually requiring some response or modification by each recipient." This is pretty far from what the term first meant when it was coined by Richard Dawkins decades ago,but that's the way these things go.

I'd like to try to turn this list written by Francesco Marciuliano into one of these latter-day memes. The premise is simple: "(A) succinct list of activities everyone should engage in, not only for the amusing anecdotes but also to know what it truly means to be human. And because of a crippling economy, paralyzing oil prices and myelopathic job market I made certain that each of the following life-affirming pursuits would cost no more than five dollars, tops."

I plan to do my own list, but after mowing and weedwhacking the lawn across town, I'm too wiped out. Maybe tomorrow. Be sure to read Franceso's list, and start thinking of items you'd like to add. Or just make your own list!

4 comments:

Super G said...

This is an interest post idea: entertainment for less money. I think we are at the edge of our expectations being permanently reset around entertainment, travel, and food. After that who knows. This looks like it will be a lot more painful than I though 6 months ago.

We're traveling less but that isn't a total savings as we are spending more locally. That actually might be good for some local businesses in our area.

Sadly, anyone at the edge of a fixed budget 6 months ago might be in trouble right now.

FYI: We gave all of our employees an across the board COLA change to their salaries because of the gas and inflation, but we probably cannot do that again any time soon and remain viable - at least on the scale we just did it.

Interesting times.

Super G

Michelle HD said...

"On the Internets"
What are you, George Bush?

Deb said...

LOL @ Michelle! Too funny.

I could never get a handle on those 'memes' and my answers seem so, umm, lame. I'd highly disappoint with one of those.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

OK OK...

You got me thinking...