Monday, March 03, 2008

Tomorrow, tomorrow...

Tomorrow is the big day. What happens in Texas and Ohio will almost certainly determine whether or not Pennsylvania's primary will be relevant to determining who will be the Democratic nominee.

Tomorrow is also the day that work begins on some bridges on I-81 between Moosic and Avoca. Just some maintenance work, safety stuff, some traffic tie-ups and delays. Should be done in...about two years. I kid you not.

Yes, it's a pain in the butt. But we all remember what happened in Minnesota last August, don't we? No, we probably don't. It took me a minute to remember just which state the bridge was in. Well, this work is to make sure images like this one, of I-81 just North of Avoca...
...remain just amusing glitches on Google Earth that result when the program tries to display non-terrain features in 3-D mode. That's a big drop, and I drive over those bridges twice a day - and all the other ones they'll be working on, too.
So I already set my alarm a half-hour earlier, to 4:30 AM. I'll bump it back even earlier if need be. I'd rather do that than plummet to my doom in some scenic gully or mountain pass in Northeastern Pennsylvania!

UPDATE: Thanks to Michelle, I now know that these repairs have been put off until next...Sunday??? From WNEP.com:

Major I-81 Bridge Project Delayed
Last Updated: March 3, 2008 08:06 AM EST

The start of a $7 million bridge project on Interstate 81 has been postponed until March 9. Four interstate bridges, two northbound and two southbound between Avoca and Moosic will be under construction. For the first week, expect night-time southbound lane restrictions. After the first week, expect possible on-and-off lane restrictions southbound and no lane restrictions northbound. On-ramps from Moosic to Interstate 81 southbound will be controlled by a stop sign. Crossovers are being built in the median but they probably won't be ready until late this year or spring of 2009.

Super.

4 comments:

Michelle HD said...

DB, I think they put this construction on hold. You should check the news sites. I remember distinctly hearing that it was put on hold. Hell if it gives you an extra 30 mins in the morning, why not.

anne said...

They probably put it on hold until Memorial Day weekend

Anonymous said...

It was put on hold until the 9th. Now, I think it's been pushed back another week. Don't look for anymore updates until the project actually starts!

Anonymous said...

watching the news right now, and i have to say things look different than i thought they would...
interesting.