Monday, August 06, 2007

Shifting

I've fallen into some bad habits during my period of unemployment. I've been staying up late and staying in bed late. As of Wednesday morning I need to start getting up at 3:30 so I can be out of the house by 4:45.

I've been gradually shifting my wake time lately. This morning I was up at 5:00, and tomorrow I intend to be up at 3:30.

I don't mind waking up early, not really. I'll get to experience the pre-dawn hours again, something I haven't done since my walks with Haley. But I will miss my late-night online chats with my friends. Those chats have meant more to me than I can say. I will try to keep the lines of communication open, somehow, even on days when I'm not able to chat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I presume your job requires you to show up on time? What I like best about my job is the flexibility. If I'm late, nobody cares, as long as I put in my 8 hours.

D.B. Echo said...

Yes, this job is very strict about that. It's a production job, and the machines don't run by themselves. Well, they do, but they shouldn't run unattended.

In my last job time-flexibility was key. My hours were generally around 9:45 to 6:45 to accommodate our West Coast contacts who, as a rule, did not get their days started until around 2:00 in the afternoon their time (which meant they started calling us with URGENT demands around 5:30 or 6:00), though I would come in earlier and stay later as needs dictated. And be on call, constantly, as long as we had an open project. Now I will put in a twelve-hour day and be done. Hooray!

hedera said...

Well, you'll just have to post on your days off, that's all. I personally find jobs that require you to show up promptly on time hard to deal with; I've had 'em, but like marc, I prefer jobs that care more about output than attendance. OTOH, those jobs do often carry on-call responsibility; nothing's perfect. Best of luck with the new job. It's amazing how many of us do precess to late hours when unrestricted; I've noticed it myself.

Anonymous said...

good luck tomorrow my friend.
i will be thinking of you all day!
thanks so much for meeting us for dinner last night. you made the "limey" smile...more than a time or two. :)