Saturday, June 14, 2008

Double YouTube weekend

First off is something lifted from Todd's Postcards From Hell's Kitchen: a wonderful Shatner/Shatner mashup by YouTube user kirkslashspock of William Shatner's cover of Pulp's "Common People" expertly combined and synched with scenes from the Star Trek animated series.

Wow, the animation from that series was better than I remembered. It was cool that they were unfettered by the limitations of a live-action series - sets, aliens, and special effects were limited only by the animators' imaginations and skills.

Tiffany posted a song by Shatner a while back, but I couldn't locate it last night. (UPDATE: Here it is!)

The next video is lifted from Gort's site, sent to him by Michelle. It's a PSA / politcal spot spoof called "I'm Voting Republican."

I don't agree with everything in this video. I think food irradiation poses as big a hazard to health as Fluoride in our water. I'm not opposed to letting people know that their produce has been irradiated, and why, but I worry that fear, ignorance, and stupidity would dominate any attempts at discourse on the topic. And I also think this video is about twice as long as would be ideal - as the famously long-winded Polonius says in Shakespeare's Hamlet, "Brevity is the soul of wit." (In an episode of The Simpsons, the Reader's Digest has condensed this further into "Brevity is...wit.") But if watching it doesn't make you laugh . . . well, maybe you are voting Republican.

No comments: