Saturday, November 10, 2018

Dream: Michael Douglas at the restaurant


Had a dream last night that I can remember bits and pieces of. It was set in Scranton, or a dream version of Scranton. I was going out to dinner with a friend at a fancy restaurant that appeared to be on the ground floor of one of the older buildings downtown. It wasn't just a restaurant; it was also the entranceway to an upscale mall built into the ground floors of several of the older buildings, so while we were the only people seated at the restaurant - TV style, side-by-side rather than opposite each other - we were able to see numerous people coming in from the street (from behind us) to enter the mall.

One of these people was my friend Kaitlyn S., who in real life sometimes cosplays as Batman antihero Harley Quinn. She seemed to be wearing a partial Harley Quinn outfit: a red-and-black top, red tutu, black and red knee-length leggings (one color on each leg), black boots, black velvet gloves. She didn't wear the blonde wig, domino mask, or white makeup that she wore as part of the costume this past Halloween, so I was able to recognize her when she entered. I called to her, and she approached our table. I took her hand in both of mine, and introduced her to my date. We exchanged pleasantries, and she continued into the mall.

A few minutes later Michael Douglas stopped by. He called out to me and seated himself across from me. After brief introductions - he and I were apparently old friends - he began to speak very excitedly and enthusiastically. He told he how happy he was he had finally (finally!) convinced his father Kirk (who at the time of this writing is still alive and 101 years old) to get a wheelchair. We laughed at his father's amazing strength, resilience, and stubbornness. I mentioned that I was considering getting my own father a wheelchair, if I could convince him to take it.

Then I remembered that my father has been dead for thirteen years, and the dream began to fall apart.

I don't know for sure where any element of this dream came from. The architecture of the "underground" Scranton mall reminded me of a similar setup I learned about in my previous job in downtown San Antonio, Texas. I have no idea who my date for dinner was. I haven't seen Kaitlyn S. in several years, though she recently popped up on my Facebook feed at Halloween when she dressed as Harley Quinn. Michael Douglas isn't exactly in the forefront of my thoughts - I've always liked him as an actor, from back when I would see him with Karl Malden in "The Streets of San Francisco" to most recently in the "Ant-Man" films. ("Ant-Man" was just on TV last week, and I watched some clips of "Ant-Man and The Wasp" on YouTube. He also was just in the news a few days ago for finally receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.) But, as usual, this dream will fade over time, so I wanted to write it down before it was completely gone.

No comments: