Monday, December 10, 2007


As has become my tradition, I stayed up late on my last day of work. Very late. I did not go to bed until after 3:00 in the morning, twenty-four hours since I had gotten up.

It didn't have to be like this. At 8:30 last night I was dozing in a lounger with the footrest raised, sitting on a back-massage pad with the heat option turned on, a kitten curled up and sleeping on my belly, watching snippets of "Tin Man" on the SciFi channel. (Doing this is highly recommended, by the way - well, all except maybe the "Tin Man" bit, which the jury is still out on. It disturbingly reminded me of the "White Dwarf" miniseries which I only saw in pieces some twelve years ago. Zooey Deschanel, who was brilliant in "Elf" and was one of the best things about the movie version of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", seemed pretty dull here, but Alan Cumming was typically brilliant and excellent as Glitch, and the Tin Man himself, Neal McDonough...well, if I were even slightly inclined to be attracted to guys, he's be right up there with Christopher Eccleston and...well, Alan Cumming.) But then I roused myself and decided to jump online and read the blogs, and write my own daily post.

I saved The Comics Curmudgeon for my last stop, because I figured I'd spend a long time there reading the comments. I was right - but not for the reasons I expected.

I went into a bit of a funk and wound up online for a long time. I signed the online guestbook at the funeral home for Al Scaduto, and mourned not just his passing but the general lack of note being taken of it by the mainstream media. Then I putzed around online for hours, chatted a bit, and nearly fell asleep several times.

I dragged myself off to bed at 3:00, my "Reset" function having been completed. It was no longer possible for my internal alarm clock to wake me up as it would on a work day. I could sleep as late as I liked.

I woke up just after 7:00 when my sister called. But I rolled over and went back to sleep. One of my cats became concerned some time later and woke me up by sitting on my head. The time was 11:12.

I haven't accomplished much today. Printed out my Christmas cards - some of them, at least. Finished the decorating here. Downloaded the Akbar font, one of the many things left behind on my old computer. Washed some clothes. Ummm...fed the cats outside. Spent too much time online. Chatted a bit.

Now I'm heading across town to spend the night at my house so I can do a bunch of things there tomorrow - and maybe make a few calls tonight. We'll see how that goes!

1 comment:

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

LOL! Don't you just love how cats show their concern.