Monday, November 01, 2004

A prayer before voting

(This post is slightly out of order, but I don't have time to write up a longer post before I go to work, and I wanted to get this out.)

A lot of prayers will be said before Election Day is through. Prayers that your candidate will win, or that the better candidate will win; prayers that neither Republicans nor foreign terrorists will succeed in disrupting the election; prayers that the long, drawn-out recount process from 2000 will be unnecessary; prayers that the voters, not the Supreme Court, will be allowed to determine the outcome of this election.

But I think there is one prayer that every voter should say before he or she casts a ballot. It is the Shepard's Prayer, immortalized by astronaut Alan Shepard shortly before he became the first American in space on the Freedom 7 launch in 1961:

Dear Lord, please don't let me f**k up.

No comments: