Thursday, February 04, 2016

Alpaca in the Sun, November 15, 2015

I've realized I have a lot of untold stories to share - or in this case, a story I shared on Facebook but not here. Time to correct that.

Sunday, November 15, 2015. An old college friend had come up to visit. We had taken a quick ride up to our alma mater, the University of Scranton. I gave him a driving tour of the city and pointed out the changes that had taken place in the twenty-six years since we had graduated. We stopped at a Chinese buffet for lunch, and then tried to think up something fun to do. I suggested taking a ride out to The Lands at Hillside Farms. This little hidden gem in Shavertown, PA is a working dairy farm that also houses conventional farm animals along with some more exotic types, like alpacas.


I find alpacas serenely beautiful, with their thick wooly coats and their faces that seem to display a lack of concern for anyjing happening around them. I was glad I had brought my camera along, since the setting sun provided beautiful backlighting for a the animals, particularly outlining the white alpaca with a brilliant glow.

It was only when I looked at the picture more closely that I realized the sun was also brilliantly highlighting a line of urine being sprayed by the white alpaca.


So, yeah, alpacas.

Hillside Farms was a lot of fun. If you find yourself in Northeastern Pennsylvania, especially in the Back Mountain area near Dallas, check it out!

No comments: