Friday, November 25, 2011

About

When I'm adding new blogs to NEPA Blogs, one of the first things I do is check for an "About" page. These are usually brief statements about the blog and/or its author, and they're a great way to get a quick feel for the blog. So it was fairly amusing when I realized, after all these years of blogging, I don't have an "About" for Another Monkey. So here goes.

My name is Harold Jenkins, but I blog under the name d.b. echo (usually all lowercase, but not always.) d.b. echo is the Mark Twain to my Samuel Clemens; it's a pseudonym, a nom de blog, but not exactly a closely guarded secret. I started Another Monkey back in May of 2004, and since that time I've actually started quite a few more blogs. Many of them are "spinoff" blogs that republish posts that already appeared here; the idea is that these blogs would collect posts on a single topic, like gardening or computer problems, so that I could get more specifically-targeted ads. 'Cause, y'know, blogging is all about the advertising revenue streams. Chya. I barely bring in enough each year to pay for the ink and paper in my printer.

(One blog that I am particularly proud of, that didn't start as a scheme to increase advertising revenue but rather as a scheme to increase site traffic, is NEPA Blogs. It has grown into something bigger and better than I ever envisioned it. But you can read all about it over there.)

Another Monkey is a lot of things: an outlet for my writing compulsions, a place to stretch my writing muscles, somewhere that I can post my photographs and my ideas and opinions. It's an autobiography in a million parts, an external memory storage, a place where I can share things with friends and random strangers alike. For a while I tried to do a post-a-day here, and I was able to keep it up for many months. But eventually it started to feel like I was just posting to post - and worse, the frequency of posts meant that some posts slipped off the front page before semi-regular visitors got a chance to see them. So I stopped, or at least dialed it back. Besides, a lot of the time when I'm not posting here I'm posting on NEPA Blogs or one of my other sites.

So. Read. If you see something you like, come back and read some more. Maybe I'll have something new for you then, or maybe you'll find something of interest among the more than two thousand posts I've already written.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy your time here, and I hope you come again.

No comments: