Sunday, May 22, 2011

Six years ago

I have a blog post thought through, one that I've been meaning to do for a few weeks. I decided I would do it tonight, and I still might.  But I was reminded earlier today that this is a somber anniversary, one which may seem darkly ironic with respect to the thing I was - and am - planning to post about.  Today marks six years since the death of my uncle, and six years since the death of my dog Haley.

I don't want to write much more about that.  I've already written plenty, and I'm reliving those final hours in my mind right now, over and over. If you're interested, here are some posts from those final days, and what came after:

On death and dying, part 1
Saturday, May 21, 2005
The beginning of the end. Haley had stopped eating the day before. Also, a scheduled visit to the vet gives us the final bad news we were expecting.

Two old dogs
Saturday, May 21, 2005
(Written Friday, May 19, 2006)
The last photo of the two of us together.

Movie paranoia
Sunday, May 22, 2005
On the last full day of Haley's life, I go to the movies - forcing my mom to abandon her place in the deathwatch at her brother's bedside and instead spend a few hours with Haley.

Haley is dead

Monday, May 23, 2005
An account of Haley's final hours, written a few minutes after I found Haley dead in her bed.
And I want no part of any Heaven that will not admit dogs.

A parable
Monday, May 23, 2005
A story from The Twilight Zone written by Earl Hamner Jr., by way of my priest's sermon-writing service.

Schedule
Wednesday, May 25, 2005
We live through a lifetime, and the aftermath.

I miss you, Haley.

No comments: