Wednesday, December 02, 2009

NEPA Blogs: Uncornered Market

I started NEPA Blogs nearly four years ago with a simple idea: to create a network of interlinked blogs that would increase each other's traffic, Google rank and advertising revenue.

It didn't quite work out that way. Maybe if I had informed each blogger as I linked to them, and asked them to provide a link back to the central site... But I didn't. Oh well.

What emerged instead was a NEPA Blogs that has lived up to its stated goal: "A clearinghouse providing links to blogs and other sites about Northeastern Pennsylvania or by people from Northeastern Pennsylvania." Thanks in large part to the efforts of fellow blog administrators Gort and Michelle, we are up to over 150 blogs linked on the NEPA Blogs sidebar and continue to add new ones all the time.

One of the more fascinating blogs that I have seen anywhere is one that was added a few weeks ago as a result of this e-mail:

Hi D.B.,

Would be grateful if would add Uncornered Market to the blogroll/mentions on NEPAblogs:
http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/

I grew up in Scranton before going to school at Cornell, moving to DC, San Francisco and Prague. My wife and I have been traveling the world and living out of backpacks for almost 3 years. We were profiled in the Scranton Times lifestyles section back in early 2008. Would give you a link, but the Times is apparently not keen on keeping online archives more than 18 months these days.

My ode to Scranton based on our last visit there:
http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/2008/12/scranton-pennsylvania-small-town-big-shadow/

You can find us on Twitter: @umarket

Cheers and thanks,
Dan

--
Daniel Noll
http://www.uncorneredmarket.com/
measuring the Earth with our feet...

To get a taste of why I find this blog so fascinating, I recommend this post:

From Ecuador to Turkmenistan: Ten Memorable Border Crossings We Have Known

It's blogs like this that might disabuse me of the notion that the blogosphere is dying.

2 comments:

Daniel Noll said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. They really mean a lot to us, especially after a day grinding away on public transportation across Paraguay.

And to your point, the blogosphere is not dead. Case in point: your blog. I don´t specifically remember how I came across it, but I thought ¨how cool...a clearinghouse of Northeast PA connections.¨

Makes perfect sense to me in this strangely uber-connected world.

Anonymous said...

Har, I do hope the blogsphere never dies, it is how I keep track of what is going on in your life!