Saturday, March 25, 2006

Mountains in Ireland

The first weekend that I was in Ireland we traveled out to Tralee and Ardfert for a day. There was still much snow in the mountains, and on the way back the setting sun created a magnificent play of colors with the mountains, landscape, and sky.
Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure which mountains these are. Ireland is generally described as a plateau ringed by mountains, although a map of the mountain ranges of Ireland shows that there are a few mountain ranges that extend into the southern interior.(Detail from the previous photo.)
Based on where we were and where we were heading, these mountains could belong to several ranges, including Macgillycuddy's Reeks, Derrynasaggart, and Boggeragh.
Whatever mountains they were, they have a savage beauty that is not present in the rolling, softened folds of the Valley-and-Ridge Appalachian mountains that border and guide my daily commute. I was glad I got to see them when I did.

No comments: