Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hyperbole and a Half

I've got some posts that I'm working on, mentally at least.  One that I probably could have written anytime in the last year - maybe longer - is on the passing of the Golden Age of Blogging.  So many of the great blogs that I first started reading back in 2001 and 2002 and linked to when I first started blogging in 2004 are gone.  These were "life" blogs, blogs that gave us a glimpse of the thoughts and feelings and everyday lives of people from all over the world, and did it in a way that was interesting and creative and funny.  There may be more blogs like that out there, maybe lots more, but other changes have come to the blogosphere that have made it more difficult to find them.  More on that in another post.

I'm not going to blame Facebook for this.  As I will explain in that other post, the evidence actually argues against blaming Facebook.  And how could I be angry at Facebook when it allowed me to discover Hyperbole and a Half?

One of my friends posted a link to this post a few hours ago.  I don't know who.  In the perpetual NOW of Facebook, such links are washed away very quickly beneath a flood of other links and updates.  I suppose I could visit the pages of every one of my Facebook friends (currently at 345) and see who posted a link the the post in question today.  I could probably narrow it down to likely suspects and go from there.  Or somebody could read this, and let me know that they were the person who posted it.  Or something.

In the meantime, get yourself a nice, warm drink, click on over to Hyperbole and a Half, and settle down for a good long read.


Update:  It was Facebook/Sideshow friend Casey Severn, likely suspect #5.

No comments: