More information on the topics discussed below can be found on the Internet!

Custom Search

Monday, June 14, 2010

Moon and Venus, June 14, 2010

Here's yet another fabulous conjunction that I totally failed to mention to anyone ahead of time, and completely forgot about myself. After I mowed my lawn and whacked my weeds across town, I settled in to watch a little TV (I'm really starting to like Rules of Engagement). Then I headed out to refill my tank with enough gas for this four-day rotation. As I rolled downhill to a local Uni-Mart, I remembered that it was a BP affiliate, and decided to get gas elsewhere. I also noticed Venus shining brilliantly over the young, thin Moon.

It took me quite a while to get to my second choice for gas, and in that time Venus and the Moon sank lower in the sky. Hurry, hurry, I thought as I filled my tank - 7.103 gallons at $2.549/gallon, with a fuel efficiency of 44.4 miles per gallon in the 315.5 miles since the last fill-up a week ago. I clicked off a quick cell phone photo at the station, recklessly risking a catastrophic gas explosion. But, hey, what is life without danger?

As I headed home I could see clouds forming in the West, occasionally blocking my view of the conjunction. Things looked worse when I pulled up at home. But I got myself to higher ground and set up my tripod at a spot where I could see the sky between two neighbors' houses. And there they were, below rooftop level but out of the zone of clouds. I took a series of nearly-identical photos.

Eventually the Moon sank from sight, and I went in to see what I had caught.


UPDATE: Here's a cropped close-up from one of the photos in this series:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome comment, Echo! I too saw that moon and wondered what planet was shining so bright next to it. I found your post and now we are all enjoying the term, "Monkey Moon" and look forward to watching for it again tonight!
Moon Fan in Houston