Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Cork

Entering Cork over the River Lee
I don't love Cork as much as I do most other places in Ireland. There's something about it that rubs me the wrong way - maybe it's the traffic, the crowding, the architecture. I'm not sure. I certainly haven't seen as much of it as I have the other places that I've visited in Ireland, so maybe I just haven't warmed up to it yet.
More than anything else, Cork is a city of people. University students and shoppers bustle through the downtown at midday; cars choke the streets in gridlock; stores form a solid mass in the shopping district, while houses crowd the surrounding hillsides.
Cork alleyway
Shopping in downtown Cork
Church
Something about the architecture of Cork feels ashen - as though the entire city has been lightly dusted with ashes. Maybe that's a cumulative effect of the flatter landscape, fewer trees, and greater crowding. Maybe it's just my imagination.
This is not to say that Cork is not beautiful, or is not worth visiting. Once upon a time its streets were canals - it's a city with a lot of history. It has several cathedrals and beautiful churches, including St. Ann's Shandon (above, right of center, hiding behind a crane.) It has some of the best shopping in Ireland outside of Dublin. If you're thinking of visiting, read up on the city first and plan your visit to focus on the things that interest you.

2 comments:

darkman said...

Check out my blog,tales from Ozlaid house(a Cork horror story)

anne said...

I agree with your comment about the ashen landscape. When I went to cork, it felt a bit as though I had never left the coal region. It wasn't my favorite part of Ireland.