More information on the topics discussed below can be found on the Internet!

Custom Search

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

The end of the Februaries

February is over, and now we can get on with life.  There is a rule of thumb I learned in gardening years ago:  it's OK to start seeds before March if you get an "attack of the Februaries," so long as you have enough seed to replant all the February-started seedlings that will die - which will probably be all of them.

Last year I got off to a late start.  Work consumed all my time, or so it seemed, and I never got around to starting what few plants I started until sometime in May.  This year I am engaged in a job search, but I plan to take the time to prune my grapevine and start my tomatoes sometime in March.

I experimented with a few different ways of starting seeds last year, and I found that the absolute best method for me involves miniature terra cotta pots (the kind that come in the Chia Herb Garden) on an East-facing windowsill.  Topsy-Turvy Tomato Planters didn't work out at all for me, and the tomatoes I transplanted into the garden fared very poorly for some reason.  The best results were with tomatoes transplanted into large planters, pots about eighteen to twenty-four inches in diameter.  We'll see how well this year's crop grows.

Now, where did I put those seeds...

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Here's wishing you a bountiful crop!!!

Betz said...

keep me posted on your garden har, i do love to hear garden stories!