Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My preposterous day tomorrow

Tomorrow I go back to work for a partial day - from midnight to 6:00 AM. This is actually a lot trickier than working the other version of this night, from 10:0 PM to 2:00 AM, not only because it runs two hours longer but also because it is offset to be basically a second half of the night.

Under normal circumstances I would probably stay up somewhat late tonight, maybe until 2:00 or 3:00, and then try to force myself to sleep until at least 11:00 AM, maybe until 2:00 PM, which is my "normal" wake-up time when I'm working. (On other days of the rotation I usually sleep from 9:30 or 10:00 AM to 2:00 or 2:30 PM, giving me between four and five hours of sleep, so this eight to twelve hour sleep period is a luxury.) I would then get up and fill the open hours of the afternoon with little chores I hadn't gotten around to on my days off.

Tomorrow a friend will be passing through the area and asked if we could meet for lunch around 2:00. This is perfectly reasonable, and fits neatly into my schedule. We used to meet for dinner every few weeks when he was teaching in Scranton, but now that he is out of the area we only see each other at Christmas and maybe one other time of the year.

Tomorrow night at 7:00 there is also a meeting of the Luzerne County Democratic Committee, to which I was elected by a friend's joke of a single write-in vote.

Under normal circumstances I would not be able to make a 7:00 meeting on a workday. But because of tomorrow's twisted schedule, the meeting actually fits into my day, depending on its length. As I am scheduled (at the moment, and this could change) to start work at midnight, this meeting could go on pretty long and not interfere with my start time. Even if I were starting at 10:00, I could still probably deal with a meeting that lasted until 9:00 before I had to take my leave and head for work.

Because of the start-stop nature of this day, I may interject a few naps here and there.

And hey, if all else fails, I'm allowed to appoint a proxy to take my place at the Luzerne County Democratic Committee. I wonder who that would be...


BONUS - Preposterousness today: I was off on a Tuesday again, which means one thing: I took my mom grocery shopping to get her 5% senior citizen's discount. And, continuing with the theme of targeting the music in the store (some of it, anyway) directly at me (Leonard Cohen, Radiohead, The Cure), I heard these two songs while strolling the aisles:

The Verve - "Bittersweet Symphony"
Embedding disabled by request, and there's a commercial tacked at the beginning, but thanks to EMI it's actually available. It was hard to avoid intentionally bumping into people as I strolled through the aisles looking for necessities and bargains.

Cyndi Lauper - "I Drove All Night"
Sweet Cyndi does justice to Roy Orbison's song, and gives his range a run for its money. Someday I will find a way to sing this. I think the trick is to start off very low and work your way up to something not impossibly high. Here's the video:

No comments: