Sunday, June 13, 2010

Blah weekend

Blah.

Friday night was a short night at work, just six hours. Got out at midnight, got home by 1:00. But I couldn't fall asleep until 4:00.

Woke up Saturday morning around 11:00. Did some yard work, used the weed whacker until the battery ran out, then mowed the lawn. It was supposed to rain on Saturday, but it just stayed hot all day. Relocated the trap for the groundhog and baited it with some apples. Vacuumed the house at 10:00 at night.

Today there was a chance I would be working overtime - a twelve hour shift, 6 PM to 6 AM. But by the 8 AM cutoff the recorded message said I would not be needed, so I was able to unpack my plans for the day. Went to church, did some major grocery shopping, transplanted some tomato plants - two into Topsy Turvy planters, one into a large pot. Made turkey soup from the bones from the turkey breast my mom cooked for supper. (Water, turkey bones, some scraps of turkey, some juice from the pan, salt, pepper, allspice, parsley flakes, carrots, leftover corn kernels. I cheated by adding about a teaspoon of chicken bouillon. Simmer for a few hours, or until you figure it's done.)

I also finished reading a book on the Battle of Wyoming that I've been working through for the past few weeks. Fascinating stuff. Makes me look at this area with whole new eyes.

Tomorrow I plan to attack the lawn across town. Maybe fill in some concrete cracks. Maybe, if I feel really ambitious, apply water seal to the three-year-old furniture.

I've been slacking off on some other stuff lately. Maybe it's just me trying to sabotage anything that may change my status quo, which isn't exactly what anyone would call an ideal situation. Well, I know no matter how badly screwed-up I think my life is, or how bleak my future looks, there are people who would gladly walk on broken glass with skewers through their biceps to change places with me. (Wait, that's not true - I know more than a few people who walk on broken glass and put skewers through their biceps for a living, and they actually seem pretty happy.)

Maybe it's just the heat, or the disruptive and unpredictable work schedule. Maybe it's something else. But at some point I have to sit down and do the things that need to be done.

Tuesday night I go back to work - a four (or a six), then three twelves, then four days off.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I was exhausted just reading this post! LOL looks like you got a lot accomplished to me!!!