Friday, May 28, 2010

Notes for a future post

One day after I found out that I will be losing my job in six months, I also found out I've been elected to public office.

We are all bound by webs of obligation. Some of us more so that others. Some people find it easy to walk away from everything and follow their own path. For others, such a thing would be unconscionable.

My life might be much easier if I could simply pick up and move on to someplace else, someplace where there are jobs that fit my skills and aptitudes. Somewhere with more possibilities for relationships. Lots of people do just that, and think themselves more free than the people who are bound by ties of family, or home ownership, or jobs - the serfs. But are these peripatetics any more free? Or they just slaves who cannot see their own chains?

No comments: