Sunday, March 28, 2010

Traffic

I was late for work yesterday, because I hit a construction zone I wasn't expecting.

It was on a bridge - a "temporary" bridge - on Interstate 81 near Laflin. I had heard a mention of it the day before yesterday, that there were some emergency repairs being done that were to be wrapped up by last Friday afternoon. From the looks of things, either they weren't, or PennDOT decided to resurface the bridge just for the heck of it.

I have no idea if this is still going on, or if it will be this afternoon. The link to PennDOT's District 4 Traffic Cameras no longer works. I poked around the PennDOT site for a while and found what I think is the functional equivalent. I have a feeling that this will also go away in a few months and be replaced with something else similar that you will only be able to find through a brute-force search. Maybe that's the nature of government websites - if somebody is being paid to update and revise your websites, then by gum, those websites are gonna get updated and revised, no matter how many links have to be broken. I see the same thing all the time with NASA websites, too.

One final note, and something that I think I've mentioned before: Why do state police always position themselves, lights flashing, just past the last possible exit before the traffic jam up ahead? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to position themselves well ahead of the exit, so people would have plenty of time to decide whether to stick with the delay, or go ahead a set out on the detour. Now, whenever you see a parked cruiser, lights flashing, the message is always "You know, it would have been a great idea to take that exit you just passed. Too late now!"

No comments: