Monday, February 01, 2010

Every day is a new day

It's a remarkable thing - for me, at least. Every day - in some respects, at least - I feel like I am coming at a brand-new world. This may sound refreshing and fun, but it's not: there are so many things that we take for granted, day after day, and it's not fun trying to deal with them anew over and over again.

Today, for example. I spent the night working, drove home with a stop for gas along the way, made myself an omelet, sat down at the computer, and had no real idea what to do next.

Oh, I checked Facebook, and tried to catch up on the hundreds of updates from friends and people I sort-of know and people who are, for the moment, complete strangers. I checked the blog updates on my list of linked blogs. I went to my own blog to do an update.

And I had no idea what to do next.

There are stories I want to tell. One is about the scariest recent piece of news regarding climate change that you probably haven't heard about. But it's hard to phrase this in such a way that it doesn't just sound like fear mongering (which it isn't) or it can't just be dismissed with an "Oh, well, there's nothing we can do about it, so no point in worrying" (which may very well be true.) I have a post in mind that would be called "The Ethical Vivisectionist" which may never see the light of day. I'd also like to comment on some discussions of Civility in the Blogosphere, and an object lesson in what Civility isn't. I wanted to float the idea that some documentary maker could put together an amazing film about all the stuff that's going wrong with natural gas extraction today, but it turns out someone already has.

The problem is, I was just too damned exhausted as I sat there this morning to do any of this. Maybe after I get some sleep, I thought, though I knew that I wouldn't have time after I woke up.

So the question is this: How have I been doing it? How have I been keeping up an almost-unbroken pace of a post a day through all this time of working this same job, these same shifts? Honestly, I have no idea.

Tomorrow will be a new day. Maybe then I'll have the energy to tackle one of the topics I mentioned, or maybe then I'll have something new I'll want to blog about. We'll have to see what tomorrow brings!

No comments: