Friday, October 09, 2009

End of a four-day breather

I didn't do anything much today. I didn't spend any money, which is in itself an accomplishment. I've been spending money with a firehose these past few days, buying mostly semi-necessary things: Halloween candy, batteries, garbage bags, anniversary gifts for my brother and sister-in-law, stamps, those sorts of things. Today I didn't even leave the house, except to replace a burned-out floodlight.

This was my first string of four days off in - well, it seemed like forever, but I actually just had four days off at the beginning of September (I was supposed to work overtime two of those days, which would have been my sixth and seventh consecutive workdays, but my overtime was cancelled both days - just as it was this past Tuesday and today) and a workweek in early August interrupted by a friend's wedding. Prior to that I think I hadn't had a stretch of four days off since mid-July, though my recollection could be fuzzy.

It was good to have the time off, to be able to do things and not be rushed, to even waste some time. But now it's time to go back to work for the next four (or more) days.

The big news of the day was the surprise decision by the Nobel Committee to award Barack Obama the Nobel Peace Price. A lot of people behaved very predictably as a result of this announcement. It was really, as Oscar Wilde would put it, quite tedious.

(I just saw Rush Drugbaugh's reaction, where he lamented the fact that liberators and peacemakers like George W. Bush and Ronald Reagan were ignored by the Nobel Committee and then said that Obama winning the Nobel Peace Prize "is a bigger embarrassment than losing the Olympics." What an asshole. Maybe he can fund his own prizes, and award them to those he deems worthy?)

The Sideshow Gathering is coming up at the beginning of next month, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll post more on that later.

No comments: