Monday, August 31, 2009

Bills

One of the ironies of the current overtime situation is that people are earning much more money, but they're forgetting to pay their bills.

I maintain a home-made ledger book that lists each of my recurring bills in approximately the order they are due. As bills come in I will note the actual due date in the column for that month. When I pay each bill I record the date and the check number. All very neat, and very easy to review in future months.

(And why don't I use a computer to do this? Because a) I don't trust computers, b) I like my information easily accessible, and c) my way is cheaper.)

I came home today intending to pay at least two bills. But I found that only one of them is due this week. The next group starts coming due in thirteen days, by which time I will have two more paychecks in my account. So I will hold off on those until at least after my next paycheck deposit on Wednesday.

Sigh. This is what my life has come to. But at least I have a job, and at least I am able to pay my bills.

1 comment:

anne said...

"But at least I have a job, and at least I am able to pay my bills."

So true, so true.

Zombies paying bills is what we are.

I think I just came up with an excellent song title.