Monday, May 04, 2009

Back to work

I work on a 4x4 schedule. Four twelve-hour nights on, four days off. The hours are long but the pay is good, and the work is good exercise. When things are going well, the twelve hours pass very quickly. The biggest difficulty is adjusting back to a "normal" day/night existence on your days off.

One big advantage: if you take a single four-day rotation off, you get twelve days off in a row. Which is what I just had - with a bonus thirteenth day off due to layoff.

But today I go back. And my body has finally reverted to being awake during the day and asleep at night. I went to bed just after midnight last night, but couldn't force myself to stay in bed past 10:00. (Nor would my cat allow me to stay in bed past then.) Realistically I should have slept until at least 1:00 or 2:00 this afternoon, but it's quarter after twelve and I'm wide awake. Maybe I'll grab a nap before I get ready for work.

Tomorrow I shouldn't have any trouble sleeping, I think!

No comments: