More information on the topics discussed below can be found on the Internet!

Custom Search

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Back again

Another four day break over, another work week beginning.

When I was on day shift the between-rotation breaks seemed to last forever. By the time I got to the third day off I always began to freak out: was this my third day, or my last day? Was I supposed to be going back to work in the morning? I couldn't rest until I consulted my shift calendar to be sure.

On night shift things are different. Your first "day" off is actually a night. You can opt to stay up through the day that first day, like I did this past Sunday, but that would be the same as staying up all night after coming home from day shift.

And as I found out this week, forcing yourself to stay up that first day and going to sleep at a normal time the first night does nothing to reset your body clock. I found myself staying up all night Monday and Tuesday, not getting to bed until after 4:00 the next morning each day.

At least last night I accomplished something. I stayed up making my chocolate covered Easter Eggs, mainly because I wanted to pass them out to some friends I was meeting for dinner today. For some reason I took six bowls containing five eggs each - two peanut butter, two maple walnut, and one coconut cream - even though I was only supposed to be meeting with three friends. At the last moment two others came to join us. As I entered the restaurant this evening, balancing the six cellophane-wrapped bowls in my arms, our server jokingly asked "Oh, for me?" I added the sixth bowl to her tip.

Now it's back to work for a holiday-shortened rotation. Then five days off, four days back, and then twelve days off as I take my first four vacation days of the year.

No comments: