Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sex on Fire / All Fired Up

The Internet is a scary, amazing, wonderful place, and an amazing research tool for even the most trivial things.

Saturday night, half-delirious in my post-rotation state, a song was bubbling up from my hindbrain. Problem is, I had no idea what it was. It sounded old, but I had a feeling it was new, or relatively so. I couldn't catch many of the words, I knew there was a chorus of "(sooooooomething) this (something)'s on fire" - or something like that. I tried Googling various chunks of that, and I didn't recognize any of the results. After a few minutes of searching I decided to take a stab at one of the results, since it was a YouTube video and I would know pretty quickly if it was the right song. And it was. Kings of Leon, "Sex On Fire": (right-click to open in new Tab or Window)



Thing is, simplistic as it is, annoying as the video of the oh-so-pretty lead singer writhing sweatily on the floor, apparently in a feverish delirium is, this song sounded familiar. But why, and to what? Some words kept pressing themselves into my mind:

Now I believe there comes a time
When everything just falls in line
We live and learn from our mistakes
The deepest cuts are healed by faith


Yes, of course. "All Fired Up" by Pat Benetar. I called it up on YouTube and was amazed at the similarities, down to the opening chord changes - though the Pat Benetar song is far more complex and, in my opinion, the far superior song. Listen for yourself (right-click here to open in new window or tab) and see:


That wasn't the only research I did that night. But I'll leave the other story for another time.


NOTE TO SELF, 5/3/09: Don't leave stories for other times without leaving notes for yourself as to what the story is. I know the research involved an actress, I just don't remember who.

NOTE TO SELF, 1/23/10: It was Tara Lightfoot, the model who appeared in a Snorg Tees ad wearing a T-shirt that says "I Drink Your Milkshake."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

they sound NOTHING alike. i've listened to sex on fire so many damn times its not even funny. and that other song didn't have two notes in common.

Anonymous said...

I Drink Your Milkshake!!!!!!!!!!! That's funny.