Monday, September 15, 2008

MAD Magazine is AWESOME, and Al Jaffee is BRILLIANT!

I got this month's issue of MAD Magazine in the mail on Saturday (yes, I let my subscription to New Scientist lapse, but not my subscription to MAD!) and, as is my habit, flipped right to the Al Jaffee "Fold-In" on the inside back cover. And...well, I don't want to give it away, but let's just say I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Al Jaffee has been burned as a witch. A witch who can see the future. Because this issue was put together probably six to eight weeks ago, yet the punch line, the answer to the question "What types of increases provoke the most obsessive media scrutiny?", accompanied by pictures of Obama and McCain under text that says "EXPANDING CO2 LEVELS", "SOARING DEFICITS", "CLIMBING OIL PRICES", and so on, is just so frighteningly prescient...

...well, you'll just have to pick up your own copy of MAD Magazine issue #494, October 2008. Or go to a drugstore or supermarket or book store or newspaper stand and sneak a peak at the fold-in that someone else has probably pre-folded for you.

And don't miss "Overheard at the Barack Obama Rally in Germany" on pages 24-25. ("Freebird! Play Das Freebird!")

Also...
Some political parody posters from MAD:
No Country for Old Man
The 46-Year-Old Political Virgin
The Knockout

No comments: