Monday, June 02, 2008

Another Monkey: The Band

Maryruth from Where's the Bubbler? sent me this photo yesterday. Another Monkey gets top billing at The Lighthouse Café! I asked her for some details of this photo, and she sent me this:
It was taken in Hermosa Beach, California on Pier Avenue, on May 31. A BrettFavre throw from the beach. Here's a webcam of the area: http://www.hermosawave.net/webcam/ The webcam is about 100 ft west of my photo. The scaffolding you see in the web cam is going up for next weekend's Pro Beach Volleyball thingy. (It is usually not there.)
Hermosa Beach is one of the few places I've actually been in California! I was on a business trip there in 1995 or 1996, and after the successful completion of our goals my partner and I decided to play tourists for an afternoon, cruising along the Pacific Coast Highway and stopping at every beach we could. Hermosa, if I recall correctly, was a little odd: the beach was sharply sloped and very shallow, so waves crashing against it easily swamped unsuspecting visitors walking along the shore. Good thing the weather was warm. I dried off pretty quickly.

When I was thinking about a name for this blog back in 2004 I did a little research to make sure no one else already had it. I had a reason for wanting to use "Another Monkey", but it turned out I was not at all original with the name. Several people were using permutations of anothermonkey as usernames on various sites. The website anothermonkey.com did not yet exist, but the band Have Another Monkey did. I've never visited their website before (or their MySpace page, for that matter!), but a quick look at their schedule shows that they play regularly at The Lighthouse Café in Hermosa Beach. (They arrived at the name from a completely different direction.)

If I ever find myself at Hermosa Beach again, I'll have to look them up! I'll just have to make a note to keep my distance from the waves breaking on the beach.

3 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

That is too cool!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Some people think that my 'Postcards from Hell's Kitchen' is a blog about a famous gourmet cooking TV show or something... Don't ya hate when that happens??

MaryRuth said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the photo! Seriously...be careful in those waves and always swim near a lifeguard tower. =)