Monday, May 19, 2008

Stupid nice weather

It was supposed to rain today.

Well, it did rain today, mostly while I was at work. It rained a little on my way home, too. But by the time I got home it was very nice. I changed, grabbed the tree wrap and tub of sticky goo that I bought yesterday, along with some disposable gloves and one of those wooden ice cream spoons that comes with those little prepackaged cups of ice cream, and went out to set up caterpillar barriers on the trunks of my cherry trees. After some trial and error, I had two horrifying crawling insect death traps set up. I'll feel less bad about this when I'm dealing with Gypsy Moths.

I didn't spray my trees or any of my neighbors' trees with Bt because it was supposed to rain. Rain would just wash off the little Bt bacteria and their caterpillar-specific toxins, and I don't feel like wasting good bacteria.

But it didn't rain. Still hasn't. So I might have been able to get in at least a few hours of caterpillar exposure to the toxic bacteria-covered leaves.

I tend to believe short-range forecasts more than long-range ones, and plan my life accordingly. If the lawn needs mowing but it's supposed to rain, I'll plan on doing things indoors - and I'll keep on doing those things even if it doesn't rain. Pretty stupid, I suppose. Or maybe it's just a cheap excuse to give myself a day off now and then.

I mowed my lawn across town on Wednesday, and my mom's lawn Thursday and Saturday. With the recent rain/sun cycles the lawns have needed mowing at least once a week. I'll try to get to the lawn across town the day after tomorrow, and then my mom's lawn the day after that. Everything can slide forward a day or two without causing too much disruption.

Unless it rains, of course. Rain could postpone things indefinitely. The grass grows best with alternating rain and sun, so a few days of solid rain could slow the growth down long enough to get me off the hook for a few days. We'll see what the forecast says. If they're calling for rain, I might just kick back for a while and take it easy.

Even if it turns out we have nice weather.

1 comment:

whimsical brainpan said...

Hey now, don't use every nice day to do work. Enjoy some of them.