Saturday, May 31, 2008

Please help

I feel so lame at this moment. Not for doing what I'm about to do, in the half-assed way I'm about to do it. No, I feel lame because, until I read about this in this post by Ashley, I didn't know a damned thing about this...even though Tiffany has written about this in the past, and has just written about it again.

Cancer is something folks here in Northeastern Pennsylvania are familiar with. Maybe it's our diet. Maybe it's our lifestyle. Maybe it's a consequence of living amidst Anthracite coal mines. Everybody here knows somebody who has died of cancer. Maybe several somebodies. I do.

I cannot tell Leanne Weinshenker's story. I just learned her name as I copied it to paste it here. But Tiffany and Ashley have been following it. You can read it in her husband Daniel's blog here.

Or you can just read this:

Going Around Again
As many of you may or may not know, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma a year ago. She was also five months pregnant. We lost the baby, but we won Leanne's life. And while she was going through chemo, I needed to do something other than care for her and our 3-year old.

So I biked.

I think, along with our friends who encouraged me to do the ride in Leanne's honor, we raised somewhere around $35k. It was incredible.

This year, thankfully, Leanne's in remission.

But I have a new mission: To keep riding and to keep raising money, this time in honor of someone else. And so while I look for someone else going through what we went through last year, I'll be pedaling in preparation for a 100 mile 1-day ride through Moab, UT.

Help me and help give someone the life that Leanne was given.

much,

Daniel
Daniel Weinshenker

Do more than just read that. Please. Go here and donate. Whatever you can. However much you can. As Tiffany says,

sure, there are buttons there that ask you to donate certain amounts–the majority of them are FAR out of my budget–but there’s also a little button that says ‘other,’ and it allows you to enter in your own donation amount.

please don’t NOT donate because you think it’s stupid to give one dollar.

it’s not stupid. rather, it’s beautiful.

Do what you can. And please do me a favor? Pass this on. Post it on your blog. Send it to your friends. Mention the link in a comment on other blogs you visit.

Please help.

3 comments:

tiffany said...

thank you.
thank you.
thank you.

xoxo.

Ashley said...

Thank you! You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

well,
aren't we just a neat little group posting on each other's blogs!

thank you so much for helping to pass the word around. as i wrote on ashley's blog:

you are helping more than you could ever know. so i am here to remind you, to make you know a bit more. i owe my wife's life to people like you. this is not hyperbole.
this is real.

much,

daniel