Saturday, March 22, 2008

So let it be written, so let it be done

After spending several hours of mixing powdered sugar, cream cheese, and butter together with various inclusions, rolling them into vaguely egg-shaped balls, and them coating them in a combination of paraffin and chocolate chips melted in a double boiler, pausing only to run out to the store to buy more powdered sugar, and to set food out for the stray cats who ran up to (and, when I briefly opened the porch door, onto) my back porch when I came to set out the eggs to chill before their trip into the chocolate bath, all the while watching that magnificent classic of camp, Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments, it is remarkable how nothing hits the spot quite like a piece of celery.

I nearly lost it when, while carefully mixing cocoa into the cream cheese mixture to make my pseudotruffles (which are quite resplendent with their light coating of cocoa gently dusted onto their still-molten chocolate shells), I overheard Pharoah Sethi say to Nefretiri as they were playing a game of Jackals and Hounds, "Life is full of..." But then he went and finished the sentence with "surprises" rather than "little disappointments", so I'm back to scratching my head trying to figure out where I remember hearing that phrase expressed with an ironic twist for the first time.

So. I've been investing a lot of my online time into blogging, and not into other things. Some of those things - and people - I've been ignoring for far too long. I'm going to try to start making up for that, now.

Happy Easter!

No comments: