Saturday, February 23, 2008

RENT

Well, I saw RENT. So now I can understand a lot of references my friends are making.

I'm going to be replaying the play in my head for a while, trying to figure out what to make of some of the themes. I'm sure this will provide some good discussion material with my RENT-fan friends.

If you haven't seen it - well, this is your last chance. The show will close on June 1.

Ashley has been posting RENT clips from YouTube on her site, so go there to see them. (Specifically: "Out Tonight" sung by Mimi; "Light My Candle", a duet by Roger and Mimi; and "Seasons of Love", sung by everybody.) As for me, I've decided to post a video of another sort, one that this play's themes of love and death brought to mind. It's a song I first knew as a cover by My Bloody Valentine (which is a complete departure from their usual style) from the Peace Together charity album, and only later as a song from the soundtrack of the 1969 James Bond film On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The song is "We Have All The Time In The World", performed by Louis Armstrong:

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I love, love, love RENT. Saw it 3 times. Twice locally, once on Broadway. And I cried every time :-) I hated the movie! No comparison and they leave a lot out. When you go to a Broadway show, you expect singing, but not a whole movie sung. Now that you have seen it, rent the movie and tell me what you think!

D.B. Echo said...

I looked up some clips from the movie, and I thought the movie version of "Will I?" compared pretty well. I think I'll eventually post that. It's a song that really applies to everyone.

whimsical brainpan said...

Great song!

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I have to admit that I haven't seen RENT yet.